Gas safety checks are extremely important and necessary, as it ensures the safety of both your home as well as those living in it. It is actually a legal requirement to make sure that your gas appliances are safe and not causing any potential threat or harm. These checks simply test that all of your gas appliances are working properly and not posing any risk to your home or yourself. Furthermore, you can even conduct your own checks by taking precautions such as checking that your gas pressure is right and being extra vigilant of any leaks.
We urge all of our customers to have gas safety checks in order to stay safe, and so we thought we’d tell you a few reasons why it is so important to have these checks and the consequences you could face if your gas appliances are neglected or poorly maintained.
The law actually states that properties must have their gas checked every year. This sort of maintenance can prevent any problems from occurring, as well as fix any before they become severe or harmful. Holding a gas safety record is very important for all properties with gas appliances in them. However, homeowners aren’t legally compelled to this. It is only landlords that have a legal obligation, nevertheless we strongly encourage you to have your gas checked every year so that you’re staying on top of things and keeping your home safe.
The cost of having gas safety checks is no excuse for not having it done as they are actually very affordable. Furthermore, the cost of having your gas appliances checked is nothing in comparison to the consequences you could face if your appliances are not safe and this is left undetected.
Gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning are two of the biggest risks with gas appliances, and ones with very severe consequences. Carbon monoxide poisoning in particular is incredibly dangerous as the consequences can be fatal. It is a completely invisible substance with no smell or taste, meaning that we are completely unable to detect it. It is known as ‘the silent killer’ and people often only notice they are starting to feel unwell when it is too late. If exposed to carbon monoxide for too long, it can lead to death, however even if it doesn’t get to this point, the consequences of exposure can still be extremely severe, causing things such as brain damage and heart failure, and damage of your red blood cells.
Small gas leaks will often lead to things like headaches and nausea, because there are only small amounts of carbon monoxide released, however if this isn’t monitored and fixed, the risks can become much bigger.
When there is a problem with one of your gas appliances, it is not always immediately noticeable, leaving little spare time to get it reviewed and fixed by a professional. There are some common signs that something is not quite right, such as the appliance not working properly, flames not igniting the way that they should, and stains or black marks around the appliance. If you start to notice any of these things, you should seek help as soon as possible so that a professional can come and have a look and see if there are any dangers.
As problems aren’t always easy to notice, we advise annual gas safety checks to eliminate the possibility of any danger, and keep your home safe.
For more information or if you would like to speak to us about a gas safety check, simply get in touch with us via our contact page and we will be more than happy to help.