Why You Should Never DIY with Gas

When it comes to our homes, we quite often attempt to fix anything that goes wrong ourselves. This is okay sometimes, as it solves the problem in question quicker than waiting for someone to come and see to it, as well as saving you the cost of getting somebody else to do it. However, this isn’t always safe, especially when it comes to things like electrics and gas. We would always advise that you leave anything to do with gas, to professionals, as you can cause danger to yourself and your home if you don’t know what you’re doing. 

 

There can be dangerous consequences

If you notice a fault with your gas and attempt to fix this yourself, you are seriously putting yourself and your family at risk for a number of reasons. For example, if you try to fix it without knowing how to, you can make matters worse, or alternatively, you could think you have fixed the problem, but in fact it still remains faulty and a danger to your home. Here are a few of the dangers that can be caused…

 

Gas leaks 

Gas leaks are incredibly dangerous, as they present lots of severe risks and threats to your home and everyone living in it. Leaving a gas fault untreated, or attempting to fix it yourself but failing to do so properly, can lead to gas leaks in your home. This can actually be fatal, as there are several things that can cause combustion. In extreme cases, this could involve explosions. Therefore, we strongly advise that any detected problems are handed over to a professional.

 

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Another fatal risk that comes from faulty gas, is carbon monoxide leaks. Carbon monoxide poisoning, also known as ‘the silent killer’ is a deadly substance that has no smell, appearance or taste, making it completely undetectable to us. The only way to pick up on a carbon monoxide leak, is with an alarm, which should be present in every home. You should always get a professional to come and inspect any problems or concerns with your gas so that they can fix it and ensure that you are at no risk of anything such as carbon monoxide poisoning. 

 

Fires 

Gas is also a key component in fire starting. It is a proven fact that the majority of house fires are caused by faults with gas appliances. Therefore, if you have any sort of fault with your gas, this should not be left untreated, nor should you attempt to fix it yourself. You must always call out a professional to carry out an inspection and fully fix the problem so that you and your family are at no risk. If you leave the problem or attempt to fix it yourself, you can expose your home to the risk of a house fire.

 

Call a registered professional for help, don’t DIY

All that we have mentioned above are just a few of the risks from gas faults. Trying to fix it yourself will almost always make matters worse, which is why you must call a registered specialist to come and see to the problem. Even if you don’t have an urgent problem, it is always best to get things checked to ensure safety in your home and prevent any major problems or faults that could be potentially dangerous to you. 

For more information or advice, simply get in touch with us via our contact page and we will be more than happy to help!

CALL NOW